Sunday, January 25, 2009

My Confession

Good evening everyone. My name is PC and I'm addicted to genealogy.

Wonderful you say? Well, maybe.

Hmm... I wonder if there is a 12-step program for this addiction. I suppose that there are lots of worse addictions I could have. No, please don't buy me the genealogy addict mug I don't drink coffee or even hot chocolate.

Oh the thrill of finding one or two more names, dates, or places.
I have recently been looking through my Uncles source files. There is still a lot to do there as far as documentation, and research. I was able to find some names there that haven't been documented yet. It was thrilling, and yes, I did find that one of my ancestors could have been married in a different place than I had originally thought. We'll need to do more research.

While we were sitting at the dinner table, I noticed that one of the buttons on my shirt was coming off. The dwarfs asked why. Well, It was about the place where my genealogy flash drive hangs down from my neck so I said that it was a sign that one of my ancestors wants me to do more genealogy. Well, we had a good laugh about that.

For those of you who read this and wonder what it is like to be addicted to genealogy, here are a few indications.

10 indications that you are addicted to genealogy.
  1. You wake up in the middle of the night thinking that maybe John Doe lived in New Mexico, and not Texas. Then you spend the rest of the night on the Internet.
  2. You're spouse calls the Library to see when you are coming home.
  3. You get excited when you drive past a cemetery.
  4. You plan family vacations to places where you need to do research.
  5. You spend date night with your spouse at the library.
  6. You have your research on a flash drive and carry it with you at all times (except in the shower.)
  7. Your dream vacation would be to spend a week or more at the LDS Library in Salt Lake City.
  8. You have switched to a fiber-optic Internet connection just for research purposes.
  9. All of your Internet favorites are related to genealogy.
  10. Whenever you sit at the computer your children / grandchildren ask. "Are you doing genealogy again?"
PC

No comments:

Post a Comment